Despite some minor annoyances (see here) I love my new nook Simple Touch Reader. To help out first time users of the device who might be struggling I’ve decided to post a new series of tutorials. The goal of these article is to provide users with detailed step-by-step instructions for completing specific tasks on the nook.
Today Barnes & Noble announced their new nook Tablet offering that will complete directly with the new soon to be released Amazon Fire tablet. Expect my thoughts on that to appear later this week.
What may get lost in the shuffle is that they also announced the release of the second firmware update for their nook Simple Touch e-reader. It’s an enhancement update labeled version 1.1.0 that according to the company provides the following changes:
Breakthrough E Ink display – best just-like paper reading, even in bright sun (doesn’t it already do this?)
25% faster than any other eReader Best-Text Technology for sharper, ultra-crisp fonts (450ms refresh rate vs the 600ms refresh rate of the Kindle)
Longer batter life – read for over 2 months on a single charge (based on an hour of reading per day)
Ongoing enhancments and other performance improvments (?)
I’m not sure these were the exact updates that folks were hoping for, though the “ongoing enhancements” piece is vague enough to leave the door open for many other things. Either way, I went ahead and installed the update without a problem and everything seems to be running nice and fast. One thing that seems important to mention is that this update has killed the web browser trick.
Barnes and Noble will be pushing the update to all Simple Touch Readers over the air by groupings of serial numbers over the next few days, but if you don’t want to wait, you can manually update your nook following the instructions below, which come directly from the B&N support website. Enjoy!
To Manually Update the Firmware to v1.1.0:
- From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file’s name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
- Tap Settings on your NOOK’s Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.
- Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a “USB Mode” message on your NOOK screen.
- From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
- Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.
- Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
- Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
- Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart.
- The software has been successfully updated; tap on the small “n” that appears in the status bar for additional information.
(NOTE: Your NOOK must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, your NOOK will reboot itself back to the Home screen or the last screen you were on. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK and check to see that your software version is 1.1.0.)
Got a question about the nook Simple Touch Reader? Is there a feature or function you’d like to see explained in detail in a future post? Comment below!